dbryceman
Participant
Postcount 3

Hi there, Walter. With respect, I should probably offer an apology to you, because my approach to your question was very much the kind of response you’d get from a total asshole like myself. I was basically trolling you. As you probably know, it is much easier to attack a question than it is to debate a question. I do apologize. I was harsh and indiscriminate in my assumptions about what you were actually expecting, in terms of an answer to your question. I really do apologize, because it might begin an actual discussion, and I think that is what you probably wanted in the first place. I was wrong in many ways, and I am sorry if I hurt your own efforts to grasp this topic.

To answer your original question, I can only say that I do not believe that people who believe the earth is flat are misinformed, and I also do not believe that they are mentally ill. I know a lot of people who are smarter than I am, in my opinion, and they would not reject the idea that the earth is flat. They would most likely find it entertaining, as I have. My spelling and grammar is also horrific, but I do my best. That’s all we can do, isn’t it?

If you believe that the earth is a sphere, as I do, in general, do not be discouraged. It could also be flat. About 400 years ago and a bit more, maybe, there was a working model of the solar system which explained the movements of the sun and moon, and all other heavenly bodies, from our point of view on a flat earth. It looked like spaghetti, ok? I think I am referring to the Ptolemaic model of the solar system, but I might be a little biased or “off” in my memory. It actually worked, as far as I know, but it really did look like an awful model. I guess I mean to say it was more complex than the spherical earth perspective. If you have ever loved a woman, you might understand that simplicity is not always the fastest way to an answer. I’m not trolling you now; I am only asking for an open mind.

Why do you think that people who believe in a flat earth are misinformed or otherwise compromised? Is it because you believe the world is a spheroid or do you have other reasons? I personally believe that this (flat earth) is a phenomena that we cannot explain. I am just a complete amateur when it comes to this sort of crap, but I cannot prove the world is round, like a spheroid ball, floating in space. I thought about it for a while. I have read a lot of experiments with their conclusions and I still don’t see any reason to doubt the obvious: We just do not know if it is round or flat. There are even quite scientific studies that found the earth to be concave – actually a hollow sphere. I think I understand why that is possible and I cannot argue against it. That might even be a bigger question – do we choose our science, or is science still innocent, borne from the desire for truth, or is science perhaps now driven by the desire for funding?

How much will a scientist bend in order to receive the funds required to continue his/her research? I don’t know. I know that if you gave me about 3.5 million dollars, I’d never write a single thing on the internet again in my life. I am willing to bet there are a lot of people who would promise the same results for even ten thousand dollars, or even less. I guess it all depends on circumstances doesn’t it?

That is the world we live in, isn’t it, painted in blood on every wall? What do you truly believe? If you are wrong, will you care? Will you break your own words and confess publicly to us all? I wouldn’t see why you’d ever do that, but you might. You are in control of your world. I clearly am not.

Please permit me to tell you a story. You don’t have to read this, I know. In 1998, I left my home in the United States to work in a place I’d never seen in my life – Peru, in South America. The local health department gave me like 21 shots in my arms and I could hardly move for 10 days, which is apparently what they like. I boarded a plane and with only my suitcase I arrived in a completely different world.

I studied French for 4 years, but I never studied Spanish. I learned from a dictionary all the Spanish I could on my way to my new life. In six months of living in Peru, I learned enough Spanish to survive, on the street, ok? And I had a secretary/translator at work and she was one of the best people I ever met. You know who you are!

It has been 19 years since that happened. I have seen things I cannot explain. I have touched rocks that should not even exist. I just wish there was a way that I could influence you to open your mind to the idea that you and I know nothing. We all really need more information. While I agree the world is a sphere, I cannot prove it, so I think we are basically in the same boat, man.

Anyway, for now, maybe the most important thing is my apology. I was really an asshole of a person to you and your question, and I should have been more understanding. I have always wanted to lift people up and help to explain things that don’t make sense, but instead I digressed into just passively insulting you. That was wrong, and I apologize for attacking you that way. There might be a path for us to actually be friends, and I ignored that in the moment. I apologize to you sincerely. I meant to fully insult you in the moment and I was not thinking rationally. I made a huge mistake. I am sorry to have attacked you in the way that I did. That should never happen between two people in a discussion. I basically laid out a war without provocation. There is no excuse for that. Can we proceed with some level of diplomacy? I really would like to converse with you regarding this sort of topic (I think I understand your point of view.) and I never wanted to create enemies from nothing.

I am publicly apologizing to a stranger, but I expect your question to be stronger and more focused. You have to work for the truth. Ask anyone who is serious about this sort of topic. You cannot simply ask a loaded question and expect it to float in the ocean of science. I am going to advance the idea that your real question was, “Are the Flat Earthers Crazy or am I Just Wrong?” Maybe. Maybe not.

I promise not to attack you with insults if you want to respond – but think about everything you say. It is important to everyone that you speak your message clearly. The world really doesn’t offer a lot of mercy. I know that because nobody seems to understand anything I say. It’s more frustrating than anyone might imagine. Regardless of anything I have said in my post, I didn’t really think about attacking you individually the way that I did. That was wrong. Even though people attack me the same way every day, I guess I might have had a lapse of perspective. You are and will never be everyone else. You are you in the same way that I am me. I was wrong.

How can I truly assist you in answering your question? Maybe you need to rephrase the question? Going forward, I will just tell you what I think. There are no prizes or winners in this sort of conversation. Take care, Sir.